On 21-02-2015 13:14, Marielle Volz wrote:
That's what I was going to do originally, but then I looked at my profile
picture on en wiki[1] I saw this message:

"Do not copy this file to Wikimedia Commons.
[...]"

I took that to mean that profile pictures in general were discouraged from
being placed in commons. If that's the case, then it makes sense for
profiles on meta to have the same policy.

Somone else placed that tag after you uploaded it. But you remain in control (and I would in fact remove that tag), and as Yena has pointed out, Commons welcomes user-space images.

Reagrds,
--
Erwin Dokter