On 2 July 2015 at 20:55, Legoktm <legoktm.wikipe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am also interested in the answer to Nemo's question about whether this
> "is the first piece of proprietary software ever entering use in the
> Wikimedia projects land?"

[not actually relevant, but since you ask ...]

First would have been Java, back when that was non-free - with Lucene
running on it as a search engine. Then someone ported Lucene to C# so
we used that version on Mono (an all-free stack in copyright terms at
least), then Sun promised to free Java so we adopted Java before it
was actually free but while the process was underway. I recall Sun
also donated some Solaris 10 SPARC boxes which were used for various
non-core purposes. This is all off the top of my head and I welcome
historical correction.

- d.