I haven't been directly involved in a while, but we were certainly not
paying Yandex last time I looked at the arrangement. Appropriate legal
steps were also taken to protect the licensing of the content, and
appropriate technical steps to protect PII of editors, among other things.

FWIW-
Luis

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 1:12 PM, C. Scott Ananian <canan...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> According to my listening of that Metrics meeting, it does seem like
> WMF is going to have to pay Yandex for using its service.  But as you
> say, that doesn't infect the actual translation text, which goes into
> wikipedia and extends the free content available for everyone.
>  --scott
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Legoktm <legoktm.wikipe...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> there

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Talk:Content_translation/Specification/Yandex_backend
> >.

> >> It appears[1] this has quietly gone ahead without any response here,
> >> which is disappointing.
> >>
> >> [1]
> >>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Content_translation/Documentation/FAQ&diff=1935992&oldid=1780766
> >
> > As the user is isolated from the communication with Yandex , I don't
> > see it as a huge problem.  Using Qualtrics seems to be a much more
> > serious problem, and nobody seems to care about that.
> >
> > Yandex is sort of similar to a "MP4 upload only" support, only without
> > the patent concerns.  Relying on it comes at the risk that the service
> > stops, but the free content created is not infected.  More likely,
> > Yandex will start asking WMF for money, and WMF decides to pay because
> > it is 'easier' than terminating using the service.
> >
> > Anyway, I've added it to
> >
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Open_source
> >
> > --
> > John Vandenberg

> --
> (http://cscott.net)

Luis Villa
Sr. Director of Community Engagement
Wikimedia Foundation
*Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge.*