*maic23 at live.de
<wikitech-l%40lists.wikimedia.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BWikitech-l%5D%20API%20BREAKING%20CHANGE%3A%20Default%20continuation%20mode%20for%0A%20action%3Dquery%20will%20change%20at%20the%20end%20of%20this%20month&In-Reply-To=%3CDUB127-W101D748884FAB0EF70713FC4910%40phx.gbl%3E>>
wrote:> *> You can't expect the average user to go to Phabricator or
post on this mailing
> list. If you are lucky, they complain on the respective talk pages like [1] or
> some other place.
>
> I think, there is be quite a substantial amount of programs around which still
> use the old interface and are broken now. Waiting for someone to notice and
> fix...
>
> Marco
>
> [1]
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki_talk%3AGadget-Cat-a-lot.js&type=revision&diff=165244124&oldid=165227754#Not_working_2

I'm sure there are still some out there, but probably not as many as you think.
I know that there aren't any gadgets or user scripts on enwiki or mediawikiwiki
that use the old syntax, because I cleaned them up personally. I also got myself
global interface editor rights and fixed all the gadgets in the MediaWiki
namespace on every Wikimedia wiki. That still leaves bots, other external tools,
and user scripts that aren't gadgets, so it's hard to say what's still left to
fix. But most of the important gadgets are working, at least.

Another good idea might be to look through the public repositories for external
tools and bot frameworks to check whether they have implemented the change. I
think we can safely assume that the big ones like Huggle, Twinkle and AWB have
been fixed, due to the lack of noise at enwiki's technical village pump. But
there may well be smaller external tools out there that still need fixing.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have compiled a list of scripts on
all WMF wikis
that may need updating.[1] It has 129 pages in at the moment, although some are
false positives, and some are personal scripts for inactive users that we
don't need to bother with.

Strad

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mr._Stradivarius/Query-continue