I am familiar with other incidents myself, and would not consider
moving away from the existing system "premature optimization". I would
consider it "sanity". We exist in a situation where wikis can
individually customise, say, the copyright release associated with
edits. Changing that is A Good Thing.

On 11 August 2015 at 12:29, Luis Villa <lvi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:43 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We currently have editable pages on Wikimedia sites with important legal
>> strings, and AFAIK no one has caused a noteworthy incident by editing or
>> vandalizing them.
>

> There are several cases that I'm aware of where legally-significant text
> was edited in legally-meaningful ways for varying lengths of time, ranging
> from hours to (in some cases) months. Without going into details, for
> example, one edit made us non-compliant with California law in a way that
> had opened up other large websites to large fines. Thankfully none of them
> have been used against us, that I know of, so perhaps locking them down
> would be a case of premature optimization.
>
> Luis
>
> --
> Luis Villa
> Sr. Director of Community Engagement
> Wikimedia Foundation
> *Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.*

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula
Wikimedia Foundation