Admins? And who are those? Please build a listing of every admin for
every possible technical venue relating to Wikimedia.

While you're at it, we're going to need them to have a shared hivemind
so enforcement is consistent between venues. They're also going to
need to communicate about sanctions so that behaviour spilling over to
multiple venues can be factored in. And while you're doing /that/
please make sure they all have an appropriate protocol for appealing
things and passing issues upwards.

Or we could have a committee.

I get that this is a technical environment and we are all, myself
included, used to being able to chip in anywhere with some utility.
But please have some respect for the people coming up with these
ideas. The idea of a code of conduct and an associated committee is
coming from smart people, and it did not spring fully-formed from
their brow like Athena from Zeus. It came from literal decades of work
by many, many other smart people in a vast number of communities that
have tried a ton of options. And when we say "why don't we just do
obvious_thing_x?" we are demonstrating a total failure to respect the
expertise other people have in this sort of process, which is
generally /not/ our expertise, and failing to do research to boot. If
it helps, imagine that instead of talking to this group about
behavioural policies, you were explaining to C.Scott or Subbu why
their idea for a parser is overly complicated and they /totally/ don't
need to be doing $THING.

So my suggestion - and this is something I have tried to follow myself
when I don't understand the point of something in the form "bad things
are happening, why don't we do X" is to literally google "why isn't
[the obviously simple thing I thought of] a good idea?", and see what
smart people have already written. It saves from forcing marginalised
individuals to repeat, for the fiftieth time in a thread, why X is a
good approach here, and I tend to learn something along the way.

On 23 August 2015 at 04:29, Steinsplitter Wiki
<steinsplitter-w...@live.com> wrote:
> Why we need a committee?
>
> I think admins can enforce if necessary.
>
>> Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 00:30:40 -0600
>> From: bawo...@gmail.com
>> To: wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] [Engineering] Code of conduct
>>
>> On 8/22/15, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > David, thanks for this find.
>> >
>> > THIS is why the Code of Conduct is needed.  I recognized myself in this
>> > blog.  I remembered avoiding any aspect of socialization at conferences I
>> > had to attend for work, and simply didn't even consider attending
>> > conferences for any other purpose.  I remembered how readily "the guys"
>> > assumed that any woman there was there for more than just networking and
>> > learning.  I remembered having my butt pinched, my breasts "accidentally
>> > touched", my questions ignored or laughed at. I remember how the buzz of
>> > background conversation is always much louder when the speaker is a woman
>> > than when the speaker is a man.
>> >
>> > It's changed for me. Not because there's any less of all of this going on.
>> > No, it's because my hair is grey and I'm now old enough to be the mom of
>> > half the people in the room at any male-dominated conferences I attend; and
>> > outside of Wikimedia events, the conferences I go to are usually full of
>> > conservative businesswomen, and alcohol is rarely involved.
>> >
>> > So yeah...you need a code of conduct. Because if I was even 15 years
>> > younger, I'd never go to a Wikimedia conference.
>> >
>> > Risker/Anne
>> >

>> Thank you for writing this. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences.
>>
>> Your comments have convinced me that I should support the proposal,
>> where previously I had mixed feelings. The types of behaviours you
>> describe are absolutely unacceptable.
>>
>> --
>> Bawolff

Oliver Keyes