To Brion and other people who think the page translation markup is
annoying and a usability issue: As the (then volunteer) developer who
created it, I can only agree.

The way page translations currently works, which is extensively
documented at [0], is the result of lots of experimenting with what
works and what does not. When developing this feature, I got some
first hand experience working with the MediaWiki parser, which was not
always easy.

Yes, the wikipage translation feature can and should be improved as
technology progresses: we now have a visual editor which did not exist
when this feature was developed. However, as shown by statistics [1],
these issues do not prevent the feature from being used to translate
thousands of pages, including the weekly tech news. The markup issue
is not a reason to stop using this feature.

For this quarter the Language team is going to address high priority
issues in Translate that can prevent proper use of the page
translation feature [2]. Our team is small and has a huge scope of
work. Only with help of others it is possible to proceed faster and
cover more ground.

To remind us about our visions: we should "make efforts to support the
translation of key documents into multiple languages" [3] and we
should "provide the essential infrastructure for the support and
development of multilingual wiki projects" [4].

I do not wish to spend my time arguing repeatedly for these goals.
Instead I want to work on making them happen. My request is that we
(especially us English speakers and developers) accept some
inconvenience when necessary to support multilingualism. [5]

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate
[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Language_engineering/Reports/2016-March#Usage_data_2
[2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/1854/