A lot of places are using Discord now, too. It has an offline, mobile, and
web client that are more media based, so there's multiple channels and
support for direct files/images uploads. I think it would make it a lot
easier to actually have a chat platform you can interact with other people
in. The problem being that Roles (how permissions works in discord) would
show different users under that role under the active users list, so it
would be a lot easier to mention various people important to mediawiki.
Some developers may not like that, but from a community interaction
standpoint, it'd be pretty cool.