On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 at 11:26, Strainu <strain...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How many successful commercial projects leave customer issues unresolved
> for years because they're working on something else now?

Almost all of them, they just keep it secret. Companies pay millions of
dollars each year for support packages, even after having paid for software
in the first place, specifically because otherwise their support issues may
not be answered in a timely fashion, or even answered at all. I don't think
comparing us to commercial products makes much sense in this context.

> There were a
> number of proposals on how to track such issues so that reporters have a
> clear image of the status of the bugs. Have any of them been tried by at
> least one of the teams at wmf? If so, is there a way to share the results
> with other teams? If not, how can we convince the wmf to give them a
> chance?

I don't agree with shifting responsibility onto the Wikimedia Foundation.
There's an anti-pattern here: we all have a big mailing list discussion,
agree there's a problem, agree that the Foundation should solve the
problem, then ask again in a year what they did even though they didn't
actually say they'd do anything about it. That's not a healthy dynamic.

The technical space is owned by all of us, so if we, as a technical
community, decide this is important to us, then we can look at the problem
and try to tackle it, and then figure out how the Wikimedia Foundation
could catalyse that.

Dan