Regarding:
>My proposal is to begin the discussion here: how can we better relay issues
>that are more important to communities than new features? How can we have a
>"community whishlist for bugs"?

Well fundamentally it starts with making a list.

This is basically a lobbying discussion right. People think WMF should do
more of X. Lobbying discussions are more successful the more specific they
are. Having a list of the top 20 worse bugs is something you could convince
people to do something about. Even something like /WMF spends too much time
on new features and not enough time on maintenance/bug fixing/, is
something you could convince people to change, if you for example knew how
much time WMF currently spends on bug fixing, and you have an idea of how
much time you think they should be spending. Even if management doesn't
agree with your proposal, it would at least be specific enough to debate.

When these discussions start from vague places, like there's too many bugs,
is when they go nowhere. Even if WMF stopped everything else it was doing,
and worked solely on bugs, I doubt they would fix every bug in existence.
(We can't all be TeX!), and attempting to do that would be a bad idea.

Change happens when stuff is measurable, and people can work towards a
goal. Failing that, change happens when people can be held accountable.
Objective measures are needed.

--
Brian