> It seems desirable and fair to me to allow for "fast track" removal of
> obsolete
> code, but only if we create a clear process for making an extensions
> "official".
> How exactly would an extension developer make sure that we know their
> extension,
> and consider it part of the ecosystem? In practice, "known code" is code
> accessible via codesearch[5]. But how does one get an extension into the
> codesearch index? There is currently no clear process for this.
>
> Ideally, it would be sufficient to:
> * create a page on mediawiki.org using the {{Extension}} infobox,
> * setting the status to "stable" (and maybe "beta"),
> * and linking to a public git repository.
>
> It should be simple enough to create a script that feeds these repos into
> codesearch. A quick look at Category:Extensions_by_status category tells
> me that
> there are about a thousand such extensions.

A clear and straightforward policy for getting things "in" sounds great.
However, this might encourage the addition of extensions that are
ultimately abandoned and which themselves become a code maintenance burden.
We should also consider our policy for getting things "out". This is often
a more difficult issue.

Bill Pirkle
Software Engineer
www.wikimediafoundation.org