Honestly if you want a depreciation policy, warnings need to be omitted for
at least one 1.x version. Anything less than that is pointless from an end
user perspective. We tend to wait for final releases to limit bug exposure.
If something breaks, and it's not clear exactly what the cause is, using
incremental updates to figure out the breakage is the solution normally
applied. One of the key reasons to use a depreciation policy is to limit
the breakage that can happen, if the Mediawiki culture is shifting to a
screw non-published extensions policy might as well not have a depreciation
policy. However if the historical spirit of MW is maintained having such a
policy is critical. Mediawiki is re-used by a lot of different groups, not
all of them are able to or are willing to publish extension code for a
number of reasons. Taking the "Not my Problem" approach leaves a sour taste
in my mouth. Honestly if you cannot maintain compatibility for at least one
release cycle, how much damage are you going to create?