Hi!

For the BlueSpice distribution ...

* we have got ~90 active repos hosted on WMF Gerrit and another ~10 in our
internal Gitlab

* we want to develop as much as possible on the public infrastructure of the
WMF, so the remaining internal repos will (hopefully) be published in the future

* we have hundreds of installations and a lot of them have a custom
extension/skin maintained by us, that can not be published

* we mainly target MediaWiki core LTS branches with our code, therefore
deprecations and breaking changes introduced by a non-LTS usually are no
problem. But ...

* we try to keep up with the changes in the core `master` branch mainly for two
reasons:

   1) CI tests of our codes `master` branch will fail whenever we cherry-pick a
change from the LTS branch

   2) There is less work left for the time when a new LTS is about to be
released (just happening with 1.35)

I believe the proposed process change will not affect us much. We will benefit
more from a cleaner/modernized MediaWiki core codebase more than we will suffer
from breaking changes. Especially as a lot of our code will be in the public
available locations and therefore be visible for the WMF anyways. As long as we
have a way to know about such breaking changes (mailin-list, mw.org pages,
release notes, ...) - and how to handle them - we should be good.

--

Robert Vogel