Doc, I know that it was from you that I first encountered this story, and
that it inspired in me a lasting love of Borges. For many years, when I
maintained a large library, I had all his volumes available in English,
which is how I encountered other translations of "Everything and Nothing."
That got me interested in the problem of translation, because it was so
easy with Borges's parables to see/hear what kinds of meanings were
obscured and what kinds of meanings were enhanced in different
translations. But the one I've reproduced here--the Irby translation in
LABYRINTHS, is the one that reads the best out loud, in my view, and I
believe it's the one you first introduced to us.

Love,

Mike