Arnold Hassen wrote:
We are designing two new 200 seat classrooms that will be adjacent to
one another.  Discussion is focussing on whether we should hardwire or
go wireless.
Functionally we must be capable of simultaneous networking which means
400+ simultaneous links.
Is this doable with wireless?
Thanks for any help
Arnie Hassen
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
http://www.educause.edu/cg/.

I've seen a few "it might work" suggestions, but I don't think anyone's actually gotten 400 simultaneous wireless connections working in a single room, and I don't think it's physically or logistically possible.

First of all, the 802.11 protocols theoretically allow 255 connections
per access point, but accepted wisdom is 20-30 per point.  That means
you need 20 APs for the room.  You have 3 available wireless channels,
so you'd have to figure out a way to spread the points so they don't
overlap.  In an open space this simply isn't possible even if you reduce
the transmit power on the APs and cards to 1mW. Also, at 20 connections
per point the effective bandwidth of an AP is about 1/2 of its nominal
bandwidth, so you're looking at about 5Mbps for 802.11b, about 25Mbps
for 802.11a or g.  That may be enough bandwidth for casual web surfing,
IM or email, but isn't enough for networked file access, file sharing,
or running applications from a file server.  It's also exacerbated by
the fact that wireless is a collision avoidance technology instead of
collision detection.  Basically, in contention, stations will transmit
very infrequently, and reduce available bandwidth further.

We, as IT professionals, have to do a much better job managing
expectations.  There's no way any wireless infrastructure will perform
like a 100Mbps switched wired network, and this will become critical in
classrooms for any serious amount of data (I didn't even mention
videoconferencing, or multimedia applications.)  If your administration
or faculty think wireless equals wired in terms of usability, especially
in the density of people and usage of a classroom, you need to clear
that up for them.  Sure, it seems the same to them at home using their
DSL connection or printing to their network printer, but that's not the
same as an entire class attempting to watch a video or collaborate with
data.  If you plan on using computers in the classroom, and are doing
more than sporadic access to the Internet, you need a wired
infrastructure in the rooms.  We've learned this lesson and are now
advocating and planning to rewire several rooms that we thought would be
"just fine" with wireless.

--Mike

Mike Richichi
Director of Computing and Network Services, Drew University
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED],  http://users.drew.edu/mrichich/