I used to be very worried about high density until I started to attend
the IEEE meetings a few years ago where there is close to 800 engineers
with laptops downloading PDFs, PPTs and DOCs. Quite the sight! I wish
there was a way to take pictures but these aren't allowed at IEEE
meetings.  Worth the trip to one of their conference as an observer if
you want to increase your comfort level on high density deployments.

Every wireless engineer has a laptop and they are all in the same
ballroom at the beginning and end of the conference.  During the
conference, all the attendees are in close proximity as the large
conference hall gets broken up into a dozen smaller large meeting rooms.

I'm not convinced that tuning the radios below the power of most clients
is a good idea and our RF research group has found that power control in
its current state is really inadequate (as a result, we aren't focusing
on power tuning in our deployment).

To do load balancing, the trick I think at this point is to make sure
that you turn off support for the lower speeds to force roaming to the
other stronger APs.  There is no standards-base way of doing load balancing.

What the IEEE is doing with IEEE 802.11k is an attempt to provide a
standards-based resource management information so that radios can help
tune down the power of clients (as it's done in the cell phone industry)
so that clients don't keep blasting away if they don't have to. So this
problem is getting fixed because the market needs it. I'm not too sure
if the problem is going to be fully fixed with 802.11k but Cisco, with
its "Cisco Compatible" CCX program, is doing the same today.  They are
just ahead of the slower moving standards bodies but now have several
vendors supporting CCX  (this list was empty last year at this time).
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partners/pr46/pr147/partners_pgm_partners_0900aecd800a7907.html

Until this is widely available, directional antennas at the APs for
these special circumstances makes a lot of sense.

For large theaters, we deployed a single AP for now but we have three AP
drops (each AP drop has 2 cable/circuits) so we can scale to 6 APs if we
need to.

I predict the ultimate answer for high density in large rooms will be
the next generation of 802.11a possibly combined with standards-based
client radio management.  In the 5 GHz WLAN spectrum there is 200 MHz of
available spectrum versus just 83 MHz in 2.4 GHz range. IEEE 802.11a is
just not there today...

... Jonn Martell, UBC Wireless, www.wireless.ubc.ca

Sean Che wrote:

High density is a big challenge to wireless deployment. We are currently
facing the same issue.  In one of our wireless projects, we were told
that there might be up to 250 simultaneous users ( Even worse:  Did I
mention they are all Pocket PCs with wireless cards? ) in one large
lecture hall for class.  In this kind of "noise" crowded environment,
not only the APs will interfere with each other, the clients radio cards
will also join the choral society.. What a nightmare!
We are thinking of  using directional antennas to help distributing the
clients evenly; tuning the transmitting power to minimum.  The problem
is we couldn't really get a feeling how it works before we really
install it and those 250 students really start using it ( and maybe
complain about it. )

Sean

Arnold Hassen wrote:

We are designing two new 200 seat classrooms that will be adjacent to
one another.  Discussion is focussing on whether we should hardwire or
go wireless.
Functionally we must be capable of simultaneous networking which means
400+ simultaneous links.
Is this doable with wireless?
Thanks for any help
Arnie Hassen
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
********** Participation and subscription information for this
EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/cg/.

--

Sean Che