I do not use the self healing feature of my WLSE but I use several other things with it.  I can change the code on any and all of my APs in a matter of minutes.  Same with firmware upgrades.  I can even schedule firmware upgrades to happen at midnight when everyone is gone and email me if anything goes wrong.  If you have 50-100 APs then this helps out a ton.  Also it has other features such as actual coverage of all of your buildings, with signal strength, overlap, speeds, etc.  It can detect rogue APs.  Adding in your building layout takes minutes if you already have the drawings in a digital format.  It also has some AAA stuff build in.  Great if you have WDS going.  I prefer to have a good solid site survey before and after like someone has already mentioned and manually set the channels.  I have heard that some people basically used the self healing as a plug and play type setup on the initial install and it was a mess.

I really enjoy my WLSE but I have around 60 APs.  Most are 1200s and a dozen or so 1100s.  Once your WDS is setup, using the WLSE is very easy.

Justin Dover
Harpeth Hall School