Maybe I just wasn't clear enough not to start a debate!

I guess I'm just coming from the crusty old engineer approach of:
1) Identify problem
2) Identify solution

What problem are looking to solve with "Self-healing"?  Is it
worth it?

I would be very interested in what you find about how it reports
what it detects plus what it's doing about it so that the operational
staff knows exactly what is going on.  Does it push information
via syslog, snmp trap, etc, or do you have to query it?  Is it
actually doing the right thing?  How do you manage and maintain it?
How can it be integrated with your other systems?

I also hope to steer away any .edu from WLSE/WLSM who hasn't already
deployed it.  As others have noted, it is doomed.

When Rusty, myself, and others from our group went about our wireless
redesign, we really did take a pessimistic approach.  We are holding
off to a large extent on wireless infrastructure features until the
market shakes out a bit more.

This is also why we chose the heavyweight IOS AP's.  We already have
tools to manage a few thousand IOS devices.  Throw in a thousand+
IOS AP's into that system and we can utilize the same backend tools
we already have developed for configuration management, code upgrades,
monitoring, etc.  We did get Airwave for better user reporting.  Then
after the depreciation cycle in two years or so from now, begin to take
a look at what the various thin AP controllers can do at that time.

Effectively dealing with voice, qos, crypto, fast roaming, client side
supplicants, scalability and resiliency of controllers, integration
with cell phones, etc., all needs to come a long way.

Dale