Thanks for the clarification, Dave.  I hadn't seen the followup to the
original article.  This is very helpful.

Tim Winders | Associate Dean of Information Technology | South Plains
College

From: Dave Molta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:25 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Cisco vs. Meru article

Just to elaborate a bit, the article James sent around was not the
original Meru-Cisco feature story but rather a column that reports on
results of subsequent testing. In this column, I reported three things.
First, Cisco was unsuccessful in getting the Wi-Fi Alliance to rescind
Meru's certification. Since WFA certifies interoperability rather than
standards compliance, this is not proof that Meru isn't stretching
standards a bit but it still casts a cloud over Cisco's allegations.
Second, I reported findings from subsequent tests where we added Aruba
to the mix and found that Cisco's performance also cratered when
co-located with Aruba gear. Again, that could indicate that Aruba is
also somehow playing foul as well (Cisco speculated that they might be
using a variation of PCF interframe spacing, though Aruba denied it) but
it doesn't look that way to me. Finally, we decided to re-run these
interference tests with different mixes of clients, using Atheros,
Broadcom, and Intel chipsets. We found significant differences in the
performance results. Atheros-based clients performed best.

The broader issues here relate to standards compliance (e.g., to what
degree can a vendor selectively implement certain elements of a QoS
standard?) and, perhaps more importantly, performance issues with Wi-Fi
that may arise in the future as the density of deployed networks results
in increasing levels of co-channel interference. I am particuarly
concerned about the intersection between private enterprise WLANs and
public metro Wi-Fi networks. It may not be a big problem today but I
wonder if it will be a problem in the future. We understand that our
tests represent worst-case scenarios that few enterprises currently
experience but sometimes there is value in pointing out the worst-case
situations.

If there's a silver lining here, it may be that 11n is likely to push
most enterprises towards more pervasive 5 GHz deployments, where
co-channel interference is not such a big issue.

dm