From: debbie fligor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:59 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Cisco vs. Meru article

On Jun 14, 2007, at 10:24, Dave Molta wrote:

<snip>

> The broader issues here relate to standards compliance (e.g., to
> what degree can a vendor selectively implement certain elements of
> a QoS standard?) and, perhaps more importantly, performance issues
> with Wi-Fi that may arise in the future as the density of deployed
> networks results in increasing levels of co-channel interference. I
> am particuarly concerned about the intersection between private
> enterprise WLANs and public metro Wi-Fi networks. It may not be a
> big problem today but I wonder if it will be a problem in the
> future. We understand that our tests represent worst-case scenarios
> that few enterprises currently experience but sometimes there is
> value in pointing out the worst-case situations.

It's always good to know what to keep an eye out for when you're
designing something.  We're not seeing problems in our still Cisco
buildings that are near Meru buildings that we are aware of, and the
users are pretty good at telling us if it quits working.

> If there's a silver lining here, it may be that 11n is likely to
> push most enterprises towards more pervasive 5 GHz deployments,
> where co-channel interference is not such a big issue.
>
> dm

-----
-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn       Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]          <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
                    "My turn."  -River