Hey Lee,

I had a friend of mine install an outdoor mesh network over fairly large
high-end vacation park.  The mesh was fine (operating on 11a).  However, the
entire park was trashed in the 2.4 channels.  WiFi simply would not work
anywhere (unless you were near the AP and behind a metal building).

Here are the notes:

Rolling signal ranging for 1.9 (PSC) to 2.7 GHz.

I was able to get an Agilent scanner and was able to pinpoint the general
area of noise to be the tower located about a 1/8 mile from the property.
The was a large parabolic dish point in the general direction of the
property. We suspected a bad cable on antenna. We contacted [insert the name
of the tower corporation here], and were told to prove it (yes they were not
nice about it). After a month of testing, we obtained the services of an
attorney. One well written letter, and the antenna disappeared. They did not
tell us it was removed. We only found out after walking the property almost
a month later. Informing us the antenna was removed would have indicated an
issue on their side, which they still to this day will not admit. There are
heavy fines associated with producing garbage, knowing it, and not doing
anything to resolve it. This entire process took months to resolve!!!! If
you have this issue, you will have to fight it tooth and nail!!!!!

If you want more details, contact me directly.

On a lighter note, I¹ve worked with mixed cell, pager, WiFi ³leaky coax²
systems with good results providing you know your limitations.

-Emerson