From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Voll, Toivo
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:01 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Restricting of wireless access in classrooms

Consider what happens if the professor moves class, cancels class, lets
people out early, or someone decides to skip class and work on a project for
something else in a study area nearby, or is in on-campus dorms sick, trying
to access class material online, or any number of similar scenarios. I don't
see how these kinds of restrictions are workable - we've told our faculty
that the wireless coverage serves people outside of just their classroom,
and we cannot disable wireless for just one classroom - it is up to the
instructor to police the class if they do not want computers or internet
used. That being said, we've seen very few requests like this.

-Toivo Voll

(Not speaking for my employer or offering official policy.)