Nick,

We have explored the possibility of not allowing  some students
on  the wireless network based on various criteria.
Though a lot of Controller Based Architectures (Cisco, Aruba, ...) might let you do such a thing as far as the capability is concerned, the main problem resides into the control mechanism. At one point you will have to rely on a database of enrollment to block a particular student from joining at a particular location (if you don't do it for a location, you will prevent students
from joining all together)
The two limitations were:
-who will decide and enable the rules?
        (sub-admin privileges to Faculty?)
        (Have Faculty call the helpdesk prior to class)
-How accurate is the enrollment database (add/remove)
 (classroom assignments do change a lot)

And finally (but you asked us not to mention the philosophical approach...) it's not because we can
that we should!

We ended up abandoning the idea (though we had a lot of fun brainstorming about it) because it would have been a management nightmare, and it is totally evil.

Philippe Hanset
Univ. of TN

p.s. We brainstormed that idea 3-4 years ago and we are glad we didn't do it. We see so many Iphones (using 3G) in classrooms that it would have been a waste of time. There is also a "wallpaper" that can be turned ON/ OFF, effectively shutting the classroom from most microwaves. If one is looking at a special classroom without "connectivity", this could be
       a solution.