On 03/07/2012 01:17 PM, leo song wrote:
Assigning smart phones to specific subnets which has short DHCP lease time
doesn't seem like a long term or sustainable
solution, we are trying to implement PAT on campus wide wireless networks soon
to address the public IP shortage
challenge, while keep fingers across for the tracking & logging issues.

On the other hand, I am just pondering whether those smart phone really require
campus wireless services in the long
run, or they'd better off to carrier?

Some of us (probably the minority at this point) have lousy cell coverage on
campus.

I am hoping there will be some in-depth analysis of research on this, especially
on the client expectations and costs comparison perspective.

Certainly from the point of view of the user (student, faculty or staff), it's cheaper to spend less money on a smaller monthly data plan (or none at all?) and try to connect to wifi whenever possible if there's no extra charge from the school (or coffeshop, or ...) for wifi access.

   ~c