From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Christina Klam
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 8:33 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] WiFi Quality Monitoring

Good Morning,

We have noticed that after ~4 months the quality of our Cisco wireless
network sours.  We will get reports of poor wireless quality from users
sitting directly under an access point.  Often the WCS will report users
on the access points with good dBm, but in reality the users can barely
search the web.  (I cannot remember if the average client SNR was looked
at).  The "solution" is to reboot the access point.  So, we now are now
talking about scheduling a reboot of all access points and controllers
(4400s) every 3 months.  While this may work to keep the problem at bay,
it does not address two related questions.

1.  Why is this happening?  When I mentioned this behavior to a Cisco
TAC, they said they had never heard of this before.   As this has been
our norm through multiple code  and access point upgrades, I cannot
believe this.

2.  What are other schools using to monitor the quality of the wifi?  I
do not mean the rf interference quailty but instead a way to monitor of
how well the access points are passing traffic, signal strength, average
client SNR, etc?

Thank you,

-- Christina
Christina Klam
Network Administrator
Institute for Advanced Study
Email:  ck...@ias.edu

Einstein Drive          Telephone: 609-734-8154
Princeton, NJ 08540     Fax:  609-951-4418