From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Barros, Jacob
Sent: 2013-01-24 10:44
To:
WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] need help to substantiate an SSID recommendation

I feel silly asking this question but value your opinions.  We recently had
some authentication errors that caused me to open a support case.  The engineer
I was working with eluded to the fact that having a space in my SSID name could
be contributing to the problem though not the root.  He also inferred that
using TKIP instead of AES would cut processing requirements on the controller
and therefore grant better performance.  I have not been able to confirm his
opinions from those I have asked (including other engineers from the same
company) nor in print.

We are using a single SSID for most of our campus, 'Grace WiFi'  WPA2-PSK AES.
Theoretically, should I get better performance (or less overhead) from
'Grace-WiFi' WPA2-PSK TKIP?

Leaving the vendor/company out of this conversation, will you please comment on
whether or not these changes will make a difference?  I would love to either
substantiate or debunk this theory.

Jake Barros  |  Network Administrator  |  Office of Information Technology
Grace College and Seminary  |  Winona Lake, IN  |  574.372.5100 x6178