From: Green, William C [mailto:gr...@austin.utexas.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: Non-802.1x devices on wireless...

We are removing our open SSID for sponsored guests (and students/faculty/staff
non-802.1x supporting devices) Friday.  It will be interesting to see what
problems are generated.

We have had three SSIDs:   802.1x, open for sponsored guests (mostly), and an
open commercial provider.  Sponsored guest may use 802.1x or open.  Unsponsored
guests use the commercial provider.  Students/faculty/staff are supposed to use
802.1x, and mostly do (the open SSID's web-redirect had login timeouts that
were bothersome from a user perspective).  This spring the open sponsored
guests network only had 0.47% of the client load -- most of those guests and
not university.  One goal has been to get the loosely affiliated guests onto
the commercial provider and off the university's networks.  So we end up with
802.1x, open commercial provider, and an open help/landing directing to one of
the other two and offering configuration assistance.

--
William C. Green                              e-mail:  gr...@austin.utexas.edu
Director, Networking and Telecommunications   phone:   +1 512-475-9295