We have split non 802.1x devices into two categories. User devices like
kindle's, and non-user/shared/infrastructure devices.

We do not provide wireless network for user devices due to a combination
security concerns and/or too much management required  with solutions like
hotspots, open networks, self registering etc. We have not seen a huge number
of requests for this, so there's been no real need or push for us to develop a
solution in this area.

For the rest we do provide a network. These devices might be building
monitoring tools (temperature etc), shared devices like PC's on mobile trolleys
that get wheeled around and used by anyone. We provide a WPA2-PSK, don't
broadcast, only IT staff can enter the PSK and the device  also needs to be
registered. There is only a handful of these... about 5. It may not be the most
scalable solution but it certainly works for what our needs are at this stage.
The mobile trolleys were a trial, we'd probably develop something around
creating accounts in the dot1x space if that becomes common.

Regards

Jason

--

Jason Cook

Technology Services

The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005

Ph    : +61 8 8313 4800