From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Dan Brisson
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:20 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Apple TV display mirroring spectrum use in HD
wifi

I can confirm that NAT does throw this for a loop.  This morning I tried
connecting my iPhone 5S that was behind a NAT device to an AppleTV on
the other side.  I could see the AppleTV in the AirPlay list, I could
select it but then it wouldn't complete the mirroring.  It would just
default back to the "iPhone" option.  I did a packet capture and found
that the AppleTV was trying to open up a UDP stream to my iPhone,
presumably for audio, and the NAT device was not letting the UDP packet
in.  Apparently if the UDP stream doesn't get established, the devices
will just give up.

-dan

Dan Brisson
Network Engineer
University of Vermont
(Ph) 802.656.8111
dbris...@uvm.edu

On 3/12/14, 4:14 PM, Julian Y Koh wrote:
> On Wed Mar 12 2014 15:11:34 CDT, Julian Y Koh <kohs...@northwestern.edu>
wrote:
>> I don't think that all AppleTV units have Bluetooth.  I'm not exactly
sure which revs do or don't offhand unfortunately.
> Another thing is that I would imagine that both the iOS device and the
AppleTV need to be able to reach each other directly using unicast.  So if
the AppleTV is behind a NAT device with respect to the iOS device, or if you
have somehow blocked unicast traffic between clients on your wireless
network, you might be able to do the discovery via Bluetooh but not actually
stream any traffic.