> -No institutional wireless.  Let the students bring in their own AP’s

Assuming that you still mean “in the dorms”, I highly advise against that. We
used to have institutional Wi-Fi
on campus(Unive of TN, Knoxville)  and none in the res halls … a support
nightmare because students will still call your helps desk…
in the end you are still the one providing the network port, so they will call
you even if their Wi-Fi doesn’t work.

> -Some kind of managed service (wireless as a service) with 802.11

If your school doesn’t have the initial capital to upgrade, that is not a bad
idea. But it is still more expensive (long term) than managing the Wi-Fi
yourself,
unless you have difficulties finding Network Engineers with Wi-Fi in their
resumé.

> -Some kind of institutionally owned/leased mobile wireless (e.g we provide
> our own 4G)

Two things to worry about: Data Quota, coverage in buildings

I actually do that to my kids at home when they tend to watch too much
multimedia…they have their own LTE/4G quota
and I block their devices on the home Wi-F when it gets out of hands. It
actually works because they prefer to keep their data quota for Social Media
Related traffic
rather than videos. Would it work at the scale of a school?

A major drawback: If your rental properties don’t provide adequate Internet
Access, you might experience a drop in rentals.

> -Hybrid

What hybrid are you thinking about? A Prius?

> -Continue with 802.11n 2.4GHz and fill in holes as they pop up

Do you have problems with the current state of the network? Is your community
not satisfied?
Could you enable filters to limit Wireless Bandwidth hogs?
Can you live another 2 years and patch during that period, then upgrade ?

And finally:
I now have a rising College Freshmen and I’m offended by the current cost of
college
(yes, having to look now at the other side of the fence is enlightening).
No matter what, please find a solution that will help reduce tuition ;-)

Philippe

Philippe Hanset
www.eduroam.us