I was deliberately ambiguous in the initial post, because I wanted to see how
the conversation would go.  Granted, simply by posting here I have a somewhat
biased sampling.  The problem is, there's something like 21,000
colleges/universities in the world .. so I'm getting the "I've heard some
schools are 'doing this' and it saves a lot of money" (maybe Phillipe's kids
need to go to one of those schools ;)  ).  We're in the process of building a
new res hall (opening over the summer) and another was just announced.  I
mentioned this post to the design committee for the current res hall project
and the faces were priceless.  Whether we/I agree with moving away from
institutionally-owned WiFi or not, I'm going to have to research and write up
alternatives.

Just a couple answers -- yes, I meant just our Res Halls.  --I wonder if I
could get a WiFi enabled Prius and drop it in the res halls?  My Prius has been
rock-solid!  --"as a service" was the term that was presented to me.  I'm not
clear on it at this point either.

Lee (et al), what has a higher suck factor -- byoWiFi without support from IT
or with?

The problem with people having the ability to create their own home networks
is, everyone thinks they know how to properly implement a wireless network.
It's kind of like education .. we all went to school, so we all think we're
experts on the subject.  I'll let this conversation continue without my
thoughts for a few days and then I'll give more specific information.  But I
will say, without researching this further, my gut reaction is .. this is the
worst idea I've ever heard.  And, as the father of a 16 y.o who is finishing
her Jr year in HS and looking at colleges, I would never consider a school that
avoided technology investment.

-Brian