Paul,
I am not a supporter of this. Mainly because I think Wi-Fi knowledge for
the end-user should be minimised. Users should just see the SSID and
connect; options to choose from should be minimized. The most important
thing users must learn is checking the correctness of the  Radius server
to whom they give their credentials. For the rest, the device and the
Wi-Fi infrastructure should do their very best in serving Wi-Fi users
optimaly.

Devices in general do a rather good job in selecting the best band.
Besides, users have insufficient knowledge in making the right choice
between the 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Note that choosing 5Ghz is simply not
always the best choice.  If you're too far away from the AP (or because
of whether channels or interference on the 5Gh band), the 2,4Ghz band
may be the better choice. Good devices switch between the frequencies,
to serve users best. You disable that function by introducing separate
SSIDs for both bands.
-Frans