We were considered a similar approach last year but never completed the plan,
mainly due to other priorities and having already kind of implemented one.
Rather than go a 2.4 and a 5 the plan was to leave our normal network “UofA” as
dual and create new network “UofA Premium” or some ‘join me I’m better’ name.
We already have a “UofA 5ghz” network so the premium would have simply replaced
that and we would have advertised it (website, email etc not broadcast). It was
more of a time thing that we didn’t go ahead but now we don’t see it as such an
issue. The name change really was about users seeing “UofA Premium” and
believing that it would be a better service would attempt to use it over UofA.
Where’s UofA 5ghz is technical and means nothing.

As mentioned already 5ghz isn’t always better, so advertising a “premium”
service against it may have caused us more issues with higher expectations
which might be met in most cases but could be worse if 2.4ghz was a better
choice for a location for example.

Also
devices are now much better at selecting 5 over 2.4
We already offer a 5 only, and users struggling with experience are recommended
to try this if they support it. It was first created to deal with some high
interference areas where other wireless networks are unavoidable but made it to
main campus and some users have found it better…. Or just another one to hop to
during issues maybe that could have also been fixed with disconnect/reconnect.
…..

So the plan now is continue as we are, we first and foremost recommend UofA
with UofA and eduroam configured by our onboarding tool. But we do provide a
5ghz only option to provide for the exception cases. Ideally we’ll remove it
one day.

--
Jason Cook
The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005