We started using OpenDNS before they raised their price, and it was so
inexpensive that it seemed an obvious choice and worth every penny.  When
that 3 year contract was up, the price increase had occurred and it was no
longer obvious to me that it was worth it.  When I said we wouldn't be
renewing they offered a better price.  It was still a significant increase
over our original 3 year contract, but it was significantly better than the
original price offered for the new 3 year contract.  So we decided to
continue and signed a new 3 year contract.  We've got about a year left on
that contract, so we'll see what happens when it's time to renew.

We don't have the Umbrella product, and we don't have their AD integrated
DNS appliance so as others have said, it blocks the bad traffic, but we
can't see what internal computer generated it.  All we see is the address
of our dns servers as the one requesting the resources that were blocked.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Pete Hoffswell <
pete.hoffsw...@davenport.edu> wrote:

> We used OpenDNS back when it was inexpensive.  When they upped their
> price, we used the cost increase to justify licencing on our firewall to do
> the job.  And do it better, as the firewall offers more ways to protect our
> users and data.
>
> -
> Pete Hoffswell - Network Manager
> pete.hoffsw...@davenport.edu
> http://www.davenport.edu
>

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 3:42 AM, Luke Whitworth <
> luke.whitwo...@cranfield.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if anyone has done a comparison of what OpenDNS offers
>> over and above just using DNS RPZ internally (obviously fed by a third
>> party list of known malware sites)?  I had a look a while ago and  it was
>> clearly a more turnkey solution than configuring BIND and then setting up a
>> dashboard in something like Elasticsearch/Kibana to parse the logs and give
>> actionable data, just wondering if was there anything else that sold people
>> on it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Luke
>>
>> On 19/11/15 21:30, Randy Mahurin wrote:
>>
>> We are too, could be interesting.  We are still working on the
>> communication.  We typically add these types of changes to our daily campus
>> newsletter, help desk webpage, and group emails to support staff.
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Coehoorn, Joel <jcoeho...@york.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I look forward to hearing your results from blocking port 53. What
>>> communication have you done for this so far?
>>>

>>> Joel Coehoorn
>>> Director of Information Technology
>>> 402.363.5603
>>> * <jcoeho...@york.edu>jcoeho...@york.edu <jcoeho...@york.edu>*
>>>

>>> The mission of York College is to transform lives through
>>> Christ-centered education and to equip students for lifelong service to
>>> God, family, and society

*Adam Forsyth*
Director of Network and Systems
Luther College
Library and Information Services

*700 College DriveDecorah, IA 52101563-387-1402*