From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Lee H Badman
Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 8:12 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Self-registered MAC device bypass- worth the headaches?

Hi Everyone,

Not looking for a lot of input on all of the things you CAN do- just asking a
focused question for those that are doing it.

We're piloting the ability for students to self-register games, TVs, Roku, etc.
but am astounded at how hard some devices are to find MAC addresses for from
the user side. Amazon Echo is notorious, also fighting with a Roku 2. No
labels, not easy to find in menu. Sure, you can find all of this on APs, but
that isn't "self-service" for self-registration.

Anyone have thoughts, comments, scars, suggestions? I know Clearpass and ISE
can fingerprint, but I'm finding that's far from accurate at times, and again-
doesn't help with "register YOUR device by MAC" for users that can't see what
network admins use.

-Lee Badman

Lee H. Badman
Network Architect/Wireless TME