Hey Lee,

Let me know if you would like to talk off line about it, but we have recently
deployed two LPV environments in the last year here at Liberty. Our largest
being able support 12k+ devices during convocation 3 times a week  when our
students are here. We are currently looking to deploy one other in the next
year, and hopefully our football stadium in the next 3-5 years.
*         Do you provide fan facing wireless? Yes
*         Have you contracted with a 3rd party for the actual running of the
fan wireless network? We have looked at a couple different options. But
everything is currently supported in house and plan to keep it that way.
*         During events, do you (as in central IT for the school) provide
on-site support for wired and wireless operations? Yes for major events, and
on-call. But everything is on a per event/venue basis.
*         Are these operations treated as overtime for your staff? Depends on
the venue. All of our staff are salaried employees so we typically work out
comp time if able.
*         Have you ever hired more staff for event support? Yes, But we are
still evaluating options as we do not have enough to dedicate a person just yet.
*         Do you in any way try to emulate the "Wi-Fi Coach" thing that pro
venues do- where you have uniformed staff roaming the crowd in direct support
of fans? If we deploy at our football stadium possibly. However, We don't
believe this would enough for a full time position just yet, as we already have
5 people on our wireless team. We currently only have two LPV environments at
the moment. These environments are constantly being monitored, and supported t
as they are extremely sensitive rf wise, that doesn't even include the
additional services we have to offer for them.
*         Are you doing any school-IT-run "fan experience" applications? (video
replay, buy food, indoor mapping, etc over mobile devices) If so, how is it
working out and do you have SLA with the venue/Athletics?  We have talked about
this, and have our eye on http://www.venuenext.com/ but don't have the buy in
just yet from athletics. I do suggest working with them as they will be the
biggest advocate and driver for this. Currently we are utilizing guest, and
custom portal pages for some of our venues.
*         If your central IT supports the events and fan experience Do you
contract out the "fan experience" stuff? Everything is supported in house at
the moment, but if we ever go the full time fan experience route our staff
would most likely be part of our central IT department
*         How does PCI fit into this, and who handles it? My team works closely
with the compliance and security team on deployments, if a special request, or
change is required it is vetted accordingly before being deployed.

T.J. Norton
Sr. Wireless Network Engineer - Team Lead
Network Services - Wireless

(434) 592-6552

[http://www.liberty.edu/media/1616/40themail/wordmark-for-email.jpg]

Liberty University  |  Training Champions for Christ since 1971

Let me respectfully preface this with a note for the vendor/VAR list folks:
Please do not respond to this message, or use the discussion that might ensue
as a trigger to contact those discussing about stadium services/fan experience
services. I'm well aware of all, and am looking to speak to my higher ed
colleagues without looking for outside input. Meant respectfully- but also
firmly for this conversation.

For those on list with large sports venues, I'd like to just pick your brains
as we ponder things off in the future. I'm talking mostly about legitimate
stadium operations, like 30K seats and more. As always, we can talk off list if
that is more comfortable, and feel free to avoid any of the questions that
you'd rather not answer.

[...]

The list could go on, but I'll stop there. Thanks very much in advance for any
and all input.

-Lee Badman