Not specifically. That's something I haven't seen a straight answer on how
the options interact (Cisco), and haven't spent the time to research yet.
Technically all the a/b/g rates are a modulation and coding scheme and have
MCS bits, although the term (especially with "index" and the number scheme)
often seems to only refer to the n+ standard options. In any case the main
goal was to keep broadcast traffic and distant clients from using
disproportionate airtime, which setting the base rate solved. I figured
even if it's possible for a client to drop to the lower rates under n or ac
for its private traffic, it's unlikely to do so if it's able to maintain an
association at 24+ for the base stream and we could revisit if it became an
issue.