From: "wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
on behalf of "Watters, John" <john.watt...@ua.edu>
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM
To: "wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless Mobility

If you have HA pairs of Cisco 8510s why would you not rely on the failover unit
to be the backup? Were you going to buy two HA pairs for each campus?

We have been using Cisco 8510 HA pairs for a few months now with goo success.
Our failover unit is at our on campus backup data center (we also have DR type
of stuff at a facility in Atlanta). All of our buildings have dual feeds to
both our main DC as well as the backup DC. When an 8510 fails over to the HA
unit, the clients are rarely affected at all since the HA unit keeps full state
info. All along the units seem to fail over for some reason with the roles of
the two units reversed. The clients do not know the difference, nor do the APs.
We have to look closely to tell which is active since they share a common IP
address for AP (and therefore, also client) connectivity.

We do not list a secondary or tertiary controller for any of our APs.

As for mobility groups, since our campus is divided into three MPLS areas each
with a single 8510 (and it's HA unit), we have different mobility group in each
area. These are relatively separated by outdoor space, though users can be
outside in a place that is covered by leakage from buildings in two areas (and
hence two mobility domains). We have not had any complaints though. We do
physically house all of our 8510 primary WLCs in the main DC and all of the HA
units in the backup DC. Having as lot of fiber makes this quite doable.

I'm sure that others who have been running these longer that we have will have
some opinions as well.

By the way, even though each 8510 has a listed capacity of 6,000 APs, we are
trying to limit ours to 3,000 for now. Two of my MPLS areas are comfortably
below 3,000 but one is close. We will be ordering another 8510 HA pair for this
area. They will both be placed in the same mobility group.

If you want more info, please feel free to call.

John Watters
Network Engineer, Office of Information technology
The University of Alabama<https://www.ua.edu>
A115 Gordon Palmer Hall
Box 870346
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487