From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Michael Dickson
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 1:17 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] gaming on wireless

Has anyone received feedback from users about lags or drops while gaming on
wireless?

We support gaming consoles on a "devices" SSID  (PSK with MAC auth). We're
trying to resolve reports from a user with a new PS4 Pro who is experiencing
issues while gaming. For perspective, it was reported that during a 3 hour
gaming session the user experiences about 8 lags and 4-5 disconnects. Lags are
described as freezes for a few seconds which auto-correct. Disconnects are
described as the whole console losing connectivity and a "Retest Network
Connection" is required to get it working again (though time might also be a
factor in getting it back on).  Apparently most issues occur right after power
up then smooth out (user turns on console just prior to gaming). Logs show the
device jumps APs every now and then but we haven't been able to match this up
to the user's experience yet.

Our eduroam and open (CP) SSID seem to working fine. Client density is not a
factor and the user reports great speeds.

Are reports of gaming lag on enterprise wireless common or the exception?
What's the first things to check to identify where lag comes from? Should
device roaming introduce lag or can that occur lag free?  I realize we're
talking UDP with gaming with no buffer so issues would present themselves more
readily while gaming.. The PS4 is currently in user debug and we've asking the
user to record timestamps to try to corroborate logged events. We have a TAC
ticket open with the vendor.

Any shared gaming experiences or advice about how to make gaming consoles happy
would be appreciated.

Mike

Michael Dickson
Network Engineer