It’s great to hear Aruba is adding features such as “automated RF management”
that Cisco has had for over a decade. In another ten years maybe they’ll catch
up to Cisco’s CleanAir technology?  :D

In all seriousness,. if you’re talking specifically about AP updates, cisco has
had AP code pre-download for years, resulting in between 2 to 4 minutes
downtime when rebooting a multi-thousand AP controller. Not hitless, but low
impact for sure.

If you make use of Prime 3.3 or above, you’ve got Rolling AP Upgrade, ensuring
that AP’s are updated and rebooted in defined groups so that clients are
minimally impacted i.e. they roam to another AP while an adjacent is being
updated. It’s not hitless since the client must roam, but it’s as transparent
as you’re going to get.

In my opinion, the only way we’re going to see better results for enterprise
WiFi in EDU will be as customers transition to cloud-based managed-services. In
this scenario, the vendor gains significant visibility on everything deployed
in the field and isn’t waiting for a customer to decide to open a case and do
all the necessary log/data collection e.g. Meraki.

The campuses in our consortium that had been on Aruba have been migrating to
Cisco this summer. Since the purchase by HP, support and innovation has waned,
with bugs they’ve hit not being addressed. Clearly, like the difference in mu
and Lee’s Cisco experience, it’s not all rainbows and unicorns on the Aruba
side either.

Jeff