Ian,

I could be misremembering, but I believe, at least on the 2800/3800, that the
OS is based on Meraki's with the additional cisco pieces such as CAPWAP
added-in. Also, the engineering team members I've worked with for the product
are located in San Jose.

I do agree that there were growing pains with the launch of the 2800/3800s. You
had a new underlying OS and new technology e.g. software-defined-radio sitting
on top of it. We had a few challenges, but the engineering team in San Jose
worked directly with us to resolve the problems.

As for time to market. There are some enterprise WiFi vendors that use the same
off-the-shelf chips and reference designs as the home router folks. There are
other vendors that develop their own chips including radio code so they can
innovate. Sometimes that innovation means you don't get to lay claim to "first
to market."

Jeff