From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of Mike Atkins <matk...@nd.edu>
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 5:54 PM
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Outdoor WLANs?

For those of you running outdoor Wi-Fi covering public space, do you broadcast
the same WLANs as in building?  Do you have a specific strategy for why or why
not?

TLDR:
Being a Northern Indiana campus, the demand for outdoor Wi-Fi during the school
year has been fairly low.  Last year has changed this for all of us.  We face
the same challenges as everyone else with cost/aesthetics vs return on
investment.  We are looking to provide some legit coverage this year and get
out of the "temporary" outdoor setups.  We are a two SSID campus with eduroam
being our dot1X secure network and ND-guest being open unauthenticated Internet
access only "guest" network. The question came up out of a discussion related
to ensuring performance for faculty/staff/students in the public outdoor spaces
but my other concern is for our Information Security group.  An open guest
network might be okay in a building where we can track your device down fairly
quickly but outdoors might complicate this.  I think the campus user
expectation is both SSID's everywhere.  Trying to get some thoughts from around
the block.

--

Mike Atkins
Infrastructure Architect