We broadcast the same SSIDs outdoors as indoors but we have different RF
Profiles outdoors (allows lower data rates).

For campus buildings, it's eduroam (our main service) plus Guest.

For dorms, we have a ResWiFi and Guest.

We keep eduroam and Guest in one IP range, but we do segment our Dorm
networks by college area.

One big reason for using the same SSID indoors / outdoors is to keep the
outdoor clients separated so as not to burn airtime on indoor APs,
degrading service for indoor users.

Michael Usher
Interim Network Operations Manager
Senior Wireless Network Engineer