To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:07 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Virtual AP

If you have a competitor on a nearby tower who is uncooperative with you on channel coordination or whatever, I could see this as a way to "goof with" your competitor, by having his clients associate with you instead, and flood their technical support lines with calls. Having the virtual AP only run from 3:30pm to 4:30pm every other Monday could really make things fun for them to figure out.

Thats a mean thing to do, and I would never recommend that anyone do unto others as they wouldn't have done to them.

If a competitor goes broke and pulls the plug on his AP, this could REALLY be benificial, as you could advertise on the hotspot signin screen that there will be no setup fee for former brandX clients.

If you turn on universal client, you might pick up a customer who sees your tower better than your competitor. About as underhanded and unethical as callforwarding his sales line to yours, but ....

Pete Davis
NoDial.net

John Scrivner wrote:

Short of frustrating potential customers I cannot fathom what positive effect this process has. Please enlighten me how this is a good thing to do.
Scriv

Kurt Fankhauser wrote:

I do that too, 3 competitors have towers all within ¼ mile of each other, I put their ssid in my AP but turn the broadcast off, their clients associate to me and I deny all their access so when they try to hook up customers it looks like their connected but they cant figure out why it doesn’t work, keeps them from signing up clients in my area.

Kurt Fankhauser

WAVELINC

114 S. Walnut St.

Bucyrus, OH 44820