Hi Matt,

Actually, our testing and real-world experience shows that convergence is
faster in bridged RSTP network than it is in a routed OSPF network.

We ran OSPF on our wireless network, and still do on our wired network.
With default settings of a hello interval of 10 seconds and a dead router
interval of 40 seconds, recovery from an outage and need to re-route, as you
would expect, takes just over 40 seconds.  We run with quicker settings on
our network: a hello interval of 2 and a dead router interval of 12.  As
would be expected, recovery from an outage and need to re-route takes just
over 12 seconds.

Contrast that with our RSTP bridged network, where we "broke" a backhaul and
forced traffic to "route" around the outage.  The new route was 5 tower hops
longer than the primary route, and it took about 6 seconds for traffic to
move around the outage.

I haven't done tests using STP, only RSTP, and my understanding is that STP
is significantly slower.  In that case, you may be right.  Also, if you are
running a routing protocol other than OSPF, especially something that has
fast-reroute capabilities, you very well might do better with it than with
RSTP.  But in Mikrotik, OSPF and RSTP are your main options when discussing
dynamic routing versus dynamic bridging, and RSTP really does converge
quicker.

Dave

989-837-3790 x 151
989-837-3780 fax