To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: 911 compliance (was Re: [WISPA] VoIP as a service offering -Skype, Yahoo, MS)

On Jun 23, 2006, at 12:20 AM, Butch Evans wrote:

The example Matt listed was a business that purchased a phone system. This phone system happens to be an Asterisk system that has a POTS line terminated in it. Some traffic is routed via VoIP offerings available on the net, while other traffic is routed to the POTs line. The ANI/ALI would be the business location, since that is where it is installed. I'd say (though IANAL), this would be no different from installing a "normal" PBX in a building with some POTs lines and a T1 to another office (which may or may not have it's own POTs lines). You're not suggesting THOSE are illegal are you?

I am not suggesting anything is illegal. I am informing the list of what is compliant based on research I conducted, comments made by the FCC, legal advise received from council, etc. Many on this list like to just make things up as opposed to getting an actual legal opinion from a practicing attorney that specializes in this field.

Anyway, the test is whether your provide a VoIP service that is connected to the PSTN and that VoIP service is capable of E911. Your customer could be the PSAP and still not be compliant if your VoIP service isn't capable of E911. Further, there are 911 compliance issues for PBX vendors as well. If your customer is in an MTU and the 911 operator only has the address of a building how is someone going to be directed to the correct floor or the correct room? That information is now supposed to be provided as well.

-Matt