Actually, I've been fairly lucky. The only lightning losses I've had were on my tower. I've got one CPE that may have been taken out by lightning, but it came through the house and blew a LOT of other stuff as well. To me, to add $30 per install doesn't make sense when I've only lost 1 (percentage-wise, less than 1% for me) in a little over a year.

----- Original Message ----- From: "KyWiFi LLC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 2:53 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] lightning

Lightning is by far the largest threat to our WISP. It would be interesting
to know the typical CPE failure rate (due to lightning) experienced by
WISP's. I know that we'll replace 10% (+/- 5%) this year due to lightning.
We use the $30 Citel brand Cat5 surge protectors on both ends of the
outdoor shielded Cat5 and we also ground the mounting arm to an approved
earth ground via 10 guage copper wire. I don't believe we've taken any
direct strikes, mainly blown Ethernet ports on the CPE or AP. IMO, owning
a WISP would be a LOT less stressful if wireless gear was not so prone to
damage caused by lightning.

BTW, if you would like to share your own CPE-lightning-failure-rates with
the list, please do so. Same goes for lightning protection tips, tricks and
wisdom.

Anyone using coaxial surge protection on 50% or more of your CPE
installations? If so, would you say that it is worth the extra $15 - $20
per install? How do your failure rates with coaxial surge protection
compare with installations where there is none?

Shannon D. Denniston, Co-Founder
KyWiFi, LLC - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
"Your Hometown Broadband Provider"
http://www.KyWiFi.com