On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Patrick Leary wrote:

reduced truck roll,

Where are you getting this?

I have been in the ISP business longer than MOST people on this list. I have nothing bad to say about Alvarion equipment, but the fact is, that to use Alvarion gear in any network I would build, you would HAVE to add an addition cost for a router. SO, we would add another $25ish to the cost of your CPE. At this point, the price is exactly the same (or very close).

NOW, let's talk about upsell capability. With the Alvarion solution (including a router), I could upgrade the speed, but that costs how much? I could offer a firewall, vpn, qos or other options, but I'd have to change the cost of the router from a $25 router to (at least) a $100 router. If I am able to hit one customer in an area, but the others have obscured LOS, I would have to build another AP somewhere, where with MT, I could just add an $80 (including antenna) upgrade to their router and offer service off that new AP. I can offer real options for firewall, vpn, qos from their ethernet port all the way to my network edge. Did I miss anything? Perhaps there are other options that Alvarion has that I missed.

--
Butch Evans
573-276-2879