What should I say next time I'm before people like Julie Knapp, who
heads OET. Here is a potential script:

Me - "Good morning sir, congratulations on earning the Chief position."

Julie - "Thank you Patrick. What's on your mind?"

Me - "Julie, we could really use more spectrum for UL."

Julie - "Well, you already have 589.5 megahertz total from pieces
between 902 MHz to 5.7850 GHz."

Me - "Yes, that's true and we do appreciate it and know you have been a
personal champion for UL spectrum, but we need more so we can build
networks that will permit self-installation even in rural areas."

Julie - "Ah, you want that beachfront stuff with high power. Well,
looking at how many WISPs can't be trusted to follow the rules, there is
considerable risk for that, especially with the broadcasters, who tend
to be a vocal and frankly powerful lobby."

Me - "I can imagine. I'd like to see Rupert Murdoch and Ted Turner in a
mud wrestling match - well clothed of course. But back to the WISPs,
they don't follow the rules because you guys don't enforce the rule."

Julie - "Nice visual, thanks...So you are telling me that a principal
characteristic of your market is that operators will only do what's
right if they know someone is looking?"

Me - "No, not all. Yes many, and I admit that even many leader WISPs
believe that is an acceptable attitude so long as power rules aren't
violated."

Julie - "So you are saying they pick and choose the rules they are
prepared to tolerate versus those we require?"

Me - "Well, yeah, pretty much that's what they do. They argue among
themselves about which rules they think matter."

Julie - "Yes, so I know. Interesting attitude. I hear there's been lots
of arguing lately about lots of things and what is required of them even
though we have been clear, like CALEA, Form 477, the purposes of an STA,
etc,"

Me - "What can I say? They believe as small players filling what they
see as a gap that they should be allowed some leeway so they can save
money."

Julie - "Did you tell them that the latest data shows 90% of all U.S.
zip codes have at least two broadband providers? The gaps aren't so big
anymore."

Me - "Well there ARE still holes WITHIN those zip codes Julie."

Julie - "For the short term, yes."

Me - "Yeah, so what abou..."

Julie - "No."

Me - "Excuse me sir? No what?"

Julie - "No more hanging my ass out on a limb for a community that I
generally love for their passion and can-do attitude. No, because that's
not enough of a good enough reason to let them keep giving me heart burn
and generally slapping me in the face every time we try to really help
them or blaming us for their inability to keep their own house in
order."

PAUSE...

Me - "How 'bout them Colts?"

Julie - "Great game wasn't it. We're done here though, unless you want
to fill me in about what those licensed carriers are doing on the WiMAX
front; the Commission is really excited about that!"

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.
o: 650.314.2628