I don't bother with any of this.
Most subs don't use much and the few that do either have no effect on my system or end up going elsewhere. I prefer to not have them go elsewhere, because I have ample unused bandwidth and most of my aps can handle the extra traffic, amd I can use the revenue...

We had  a thread recently where Marlon was explaining  how much he would
charge for extra bandwidth.

The very next day a sub called and complained that he was having issues downloading his news groups and was considering changing over to DSL. I've had this sub for 5 years and the original reason he bought broadband from me was because he came to his retirement home here on the coast on some weekends and wanted to be able to download some movies from newsgroups he subscribed to. I've always tried to engineer my systems to be able to have the capacity to service this type of customer. I buy extra bandwidth, more than I need. and I try not to load up my ap's and make sure they have nice big fat feeds.

We ended up swapping out his cpe and pointing him at a diferent ap.
This was the day after Marlons thread. which was about feb 1st.

here is his usage up till now:
TX Data:  1,556,767,671  RX Data: 39,673,651,793 BYTES

or 36.95 gigs to data downloaded and it's only day 17 out of 30.

His usagge has not impacted my system and his usage is like once or twice a week. When I look at this guy, I see dollar signs. $2,500 for the money he has given me and I think even more he will give me in the future.

I realize not everyone has this business plan, or can even afford the bandwidth, so I'm not implying anyone is doing it wrong, just that we can handle these types of subs and make a profit from it if we engineer our network to accomadate this type of user.

George

rabbtux rabbtux wrote:
Yes, but how do you explain what 5G/month is to the average sub??
They worry because they don't see this with the 'big boys' that
advertize & don't sevre their area.  Do you find it takes alot more
selling/education for each sub?